Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Summertime!

Summer is here .. and as the guy in the radio said so are cute girls in short skirts. Although i do not share his excitement on the topic, I have my own reasons to be happy about . Summer is not fun like it was 5 or 6 yrs ago , but I still feel elated when it is summertime , probably since I associate good times with it. All I get to see now which makes me realize its summer is the rising temperature in Bangalore,tensed kids studying at the backseat of their dad's bike on the way to the exam or with their eyes lost in books at the bus stop. On the other day ,I even saw a girl flipping through a hefty book in a mall while her parents were busy shopping ..

Back home though it was a completely different story ..Summer is when it rained mangoes at home , it still does . We would have mango juice, mango jam, mango pickle, mango curry with rice , sweet mango, sour mango , cut mangoes with vanilla ice cream....What Not! .As the day comes to a close we all kids smelled like mangoes .Then there was the much awaited summer holidays when all we ever did was play for hours in the blazing sun , climb trees , jump fences , cycle race in the colony and play carroms or watch horror movies in the night . It was during one summer I had my first crush :D .He was my neighbor's cousin who was visiting and who came to play cricket with us. The crush stayed for exactly one summer until he knocked the front tooth out of our wicketkeeper ( :P ).Again one of the major attractions of summer was the festival in April . This was the time when all the kids made some serious pocket money , all later well spent on badminton balls or ice mithai.

Hmm...I think I am one of those people who is still stuck in the past and craving to be blessed with the same simplicity of childhood.. *Sigh*!

Now when I relive all this to my little cousin sister with some sort of a ridiculous grandmom getup , she raises an eyebrow , lectures me about the zillion bacteria in the mud ,the UV rays from the sun or the pleasure of watching POGO . But I tell you she aint having no fun!!

4 comments:

kaushik said...

Hmm...I think I am one of those people who is still stuck in the past and craving to be blessed with the same simplicity of childhood.. *Sigh*!

Who is not!! Summer vacations are the best times of anyones life....I remember the times when we were oblivious to the heat...we did not care if it was 40 degrees outside or 45 degrees!!!

Alas, it is still cold here...and will remain till end of may...heck it even snows in may here :(

Razzer said...

Ammalu.....man.. u reminded me of my days. Shucks..got me emotional n' all..

But one thing though..Living in the past is passe' for me.

Loved this one. Expect me back.

Anand. :-)

Razzer said...

Heyyyyy, when's ur next post hitting the ppl of the free world??
:-)

Ammalu said...

Anand.. grt to see u again :) no idea about the next post , even I hope sumthing happens soon :) btw... U r a postmachine :P